Saturday 11 January 2014

Carpet Lining on the Hull

I have had a look at samples of carpet lining from various chandleries and I simply don't like any of them. They all seem as though they are lost in the mists of time in some sort of dreadful 80s inspired time warp. I then came to the conclusion that there is really no good reason to install the stock standard carpet. Just because something has always been done, doesn't mean it always has to be done. Ultimately, we want the three 'C's on our boat:


  • Comfort
  • Cleanliness
  • Convenience


We truly believe this is possible, even though we are having to work with the fourth 'C', which is of course: Cramped Conditions.

The only way to achieve what we want is to think laterally. In the spirit of broadening my thinking, I ordered some Jute, Sisal, Seagrass and Coir carpet samples, as I think they are a much better option than the standard carpeting. These are some of the samples I ordered:



The following samples are the ones I have narrowed it down to in terms of what I like the most.



 In this photo, you can see the samples sitting against the current carpeting. My preference at the moment is leaning toward the sample in the middle. The middle sample is a sisal basket weave and it is called Summer Hamper. My second favourite is the Seagrass sample on the left.


The only problem of course is that, I need 16m2 of carpet and the one I am particularly keen on costs £25.83 per m2 excluding VAT. The seagrass is £11.67 per m2 excl VAT. I might just have to live with the seagrass. I think John would have an absolute heart-attack if I bought the sisal. Well, I suppose, at least the seagrass is somewhat appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment